Pet Policy

pet friendly

We love our furry friends and we welcome them into our pet friendly properties with ear scratches and belly rubs. But we also want to keep our communities clean and enjoyable for all. That is why we ask all pet parents to sign a contract to show they are responsible for clean up after their four-legged friends and that they walk their pets only in designated areas. All pets will require a monthly pet fee, which will vary across properties.


We love our furry friends!

Do you have questions about our pet policy?

Contact us!

Other Restrictions

  1. Non-domestic animals
  2. Snakes
  3. Fish other than small tropical fish (i.e. shark/piranha, catfish/bass farming)
  4. Poisonous spiders

Assistance Animals

We at Prairie Property Management love animals, and we understand that sometimes our furry friends are more than just a pet! If you have been diagnosed with a disability as described by the Fair Housing Act, and you have been prescribed an assistance animal by a licensed medical professional, Prairie Property Management will be happy to accommodate your needs.

Due to an influx of assistance animal requests, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity (FHEO) has released guidance to help housing providers distinguish between a person with a non-obvious disability who has a legitimate need for an assistance animal and a person without a disability who simply wants to have a pet or avoid the cost of pet rent.

Determining whether an animal is an assistance animal, or a pet can sometimes be difficult. In fact, over 60% of all FHA complaints are those involving requests for reasonable accommodations. To help streamline the assistant animal approval process, the Prairie Property Management team has created an assistance animal verification form in accordance with HUD guidelines to be filled out by a licensed medical provider. Please note that this form is not required to be used by yourself or your provider, but the completion of the form allows a more efficient response from our staff. Assistance animal accommodation requests will be evaluated on an individual basis. For further questions, please refer to FHEO Notice 2020-01 and “Fact Sheet on HUD’s Assistant Animals Notice” or contact your local HUD office.

FAQ on Assistance Animal Verification

Q: Does my animal need to be prescribed by a local healthcare provider?

A: No. While your animal does not need to be prescribed by a local provider, the fact that your animal was prescribed by a local professional does indicate a personal medical relationship with the provider, which may verify the need for an assistance animal.

Q: I got my dog/cat certified as an ESA from an online website, is this sufficient?

A: No. According to HUD, typically such documentation from the internet without a personal medical relationship is not, by itself, sufficient to reliably establish that an individual has a non-observable disability or disability-related need for an assistance animal.

Q: I do not have a prescribed animal; is there another way my pet can live with me?

A: Yes! At Prairie Property Management, we have several properties that are pet friendly. Call our office at 701-356-3085 to speak with an agent about a property that will work for you.

To download our suggested Assistance/ESA Animal Verification Form, please click here.